Patron Saint of Social Justice
St Martin de Porres National Shrine and Institute
is dedicated to fostering devotion to Saint Martin de Porres as well as providing a speaker series and educational events about St. Martin as well as the Catholic faith.
SAINT MARTIN DE PORRES
St. Martin was born in Lima, Peru, in 1579, the son of a Spanish nobleman and a black Panamanian woman. Abandoned by their father at a young age, Martin lived with his mother and sister in poverty.
As a youth, Martin was apprenticed to a barber where he learned the healing arts. As a young man, Martin asked to join the Dominicans in Lima. For several years he served as a lay helper, doing such menial tasks as sweeping floors, cleaning the refectory and toilets. Martin also used his healing skills to care for the sick. Finally, Martin was persuaded to receive the habit as a brother.
Martin became widely known for his depth of spirituality, humble service, healing powers, and love of all God's creatures. Martin was reported to have the gift of bilocation. This means he could be in more than one place at a time. As Martin's fame spread, people came from far and near to ask for his prayers, healing, and spiritual counsel. He treated every person with dignity and respect, regardless of their state in life.
Martin died in 1639 at the age of 60. He was canonized in 1962 by Pope John XXIII, and has been declared the patron saint of social justice. Today, St. Martin is loved by people of many different races and ethnic groups. Every year the Church holds a special celebration for the Feast of St. Martin on November 3.
On our "MEDIA" page, you will find links to some events that we have recorded and made available.
LITURGY SCHEDULE in the Shrine Chapel
Confessions M-F 11:30 am
Mass M-F at 12:05 pm,
Veneration of Relic at Mass - Wednesdays
Stations of the Cross in Spanish on Fridays during Lent at 7 p.m.
Viacrucis en español durante la cuaresma los viernes a las siete de la tarde
Martin's Bread at 12:35 p.m. on the 3rd of every month in the Shrine courtyard
Located at St. Peter Church in downtown, Memphis, TN